People for Climate Action
PCA’s mission is to help local governments develop and implement comprehensive climate action plans to reach the greenhouse gas reduction targets set by the King County-Cities Climate Collaboration, which include a 50% reduction by 2030.
Videos and event recordings
For videos and slide decks from past events, check out our Resources page.
The impact of greenhouse gases on climate change is increasingly well known. Cities across the globe are responsible for over 70% of these GHGs. In 2014 King County and twelve cities in the County signed a letter of commitment for the King County-Cities Climate Collaboration (K4C). This includes goals for reducing GHGs relative to 2007 levels by 25% by 2020, then 50% by 2030, and finally 80% by 2050.
King County and members of the K4C should be applauded for recognizing their role in saving our planet and their ambitious goals. We also need to acknowledge Dow Constantine for leading the fight against coal exports, coal plants, oil trains and infrastructure, the John Henry mine, new gas plants, and initiating a lawsuit against the largest oil companies in Washington over climate change impacts. However great these efforts and successes have been… there is still much work to be done!
Currently, no K4C city is on track to meet their greenhouse gas reduction commitments by 2020. Climate Action Plans are needed now.
While it’s clear that the K4C 2020 goal will not be met, the good news is that it’s not too late to help our local governments achieve the K4C 2030 and 2050 goals! King County Residents are ready to work with our governments to develop meaningful and comprehensive climate action plans in which goals are operationalized and processes for measuring progress are put into place. Progress can then be regularly evaluated and plans updated to assure hitting the K4C’s ultimate goals.
People for Climate Action is an organization through which local groups across many cities are working together to influence and work with our governments toward effective climate action. Our collaboration aims to share best practices and ideas among city groups, study current and possible climate action planning efforts being taken in cities, expand the number of K4C signatory cities, and bring informed voices to key council meetings. Through our efforts, we aim to inform and actively enable our governments to be climate leaders.
- Advocate for and advise on the development and implementation of robust, comprehensive Climate Action Plans for the county and cities.
- Meet with local officials to ensure their continued awareness of the most current information on climate and climate action planning.
- Organize and educate constituents to effectively communicate to their communities, and to respective government representatives, the urgent need to focus on meeting the K4C goals.
How You Can Help
- Sign up as a PCA member (on the right) so you can receive our newsletters and invitations to our events.
- Join a local PCA group in your city and become an active participant.
- Review our Resources page to gain background on how cities can make a difference for the climate.
Got a specific question? Contact us.
Not in King County, WA?
PCA is very interested in helping those outside of King County work with their local governments to enhance their response to climate change and, in particular, reduce their greenhouse gas emissions. For more information, please contact us.